Near the end of every winter I do this nerdy thing where I try to predict what the fashion trends will be for the coming spring and summer. While every fashion magazine ever does this sort of thing, I always think it’s fun to pick my favorite “predictions.” I’m not going to say I’m a fashion sorcerer or anything, but I usually do a pretty decent job! Here are my top ten favorite picks for 2017!
1. Pale Pink. Everyone who knows me knows that I am currently obsessed with blush colored things. My blog planning notebook, my felt hat (a la Lady Gaga’s new album cover), my wool coat, and a delightfully soft blush velvet pillow that is perched on my couch. The Pantone Rose Quartz trend is not over yet, people. Thankfully.
2. MARBLE. This one is weird. It’s not exactly a clothing trend, but marble is going to be huge this year. I can feel it in my bones. I can already see it popping up everywhere. Marble jewelry and home accents are going to be showing up at every turn. Check out these handmade marble rings from my jewelry brand, The Faint of Heart, if you dig this idea.
3. Fun prints, especially what I like to call “garden” print. Okay, this isn’t the most revolutionary prediction…but hear me out!
There are the typical formal prints, and then there are the ones that look like you are straight up wearing a garden on a dress. Those are what I’m talking about. Charming, hand drawn, wonderful color combination florals. I’ve seen a few at good ole’ Target.
I’m also feeling bright and fun prints in general, but that might just be my newfound obsession with LuLaRoe….(such an obsession that I went ahead and became a fashion consultant…whoops. Check out and join my VIP group here. Inventory should be arriving within a couple days!! EEK!)
4. Edgy bohemian. I’ve been obsessed for the past couple years with the whole edgy bohemian vibe. The lovely Vanessa from Little Boho Blog absolutely ROCKS this look, and I look to her for fashion inspiration weekly. Those ethnic PRINTS! I have also gone pretty head over heels for this edgy boho vibe with my handmade jewelry shop, and am in the process of introducing a large new collection of necklaces for this spring! Keep an eye on my shop for updates, as I will be listing a bunch of new designs in the coming weeks!
5. COLOR POPS: Whether it’s your scarf, purse or your lipstick, I think that fun color pops are going to be huge. I mean, let’s just check out Pantone’s new colors of the year, shall we? It’s like a rainbow of fun. I will be the first to admit that I am all about that muted color life, (the colors that jump out at me originally are Pale Dogwood, Hazelnut and Kale…) but I am really feeling like I will be incorporating some the brighter hues into my palate this spring.
6. Maxi skirts with buttons and/or ruffled seams.
7. As I like to call it, “Fine China” print. So dreamy.
8. Embellished, embroidered, studded, appliquéd. Details make the piece. I’m seeing a lot of cool embellished jackets lurking about.
9. One of my favorites, laser-cut boots, or as I fondly call them, SANDAL BOOTS. For someone obsessed with boots, like moi, this is great for the warmer months. It’s basically cheating and making boots an acceptable option for the burn-your-face-off-hot summer months in Memphis. Yes, please.
10. Fringe. Call it an obvious choice….but I wouldn’t be lying to you if I said fringe was done. And I’m super glad it’s here to stay because I LOVE FRINGE… I’m the girl who wore fringe boho boots under my wedding dress a couple months ago….and also asked my bridesmaids to wear them. And flower girls. I just have to remind myself that I probably shouldn’t wear more than one piece of fringe per outfit…. I could live in ’70’s clothes, and my spirit animal is probably Stevie Nicks (Those shawls. All of those fabulous fringey shawls…)
There you have it, my predictions for this coming season!! As always, you look best as YOU. I think it’s so much fun to experiment with new styles and trends, but at the end of the day, I’m always going to dress like “me,” no matter what the fashion magazines tell me. I hope you will do the same 🙂